Map Publication Requirements
When practical the Idaho Geological Survey will publish new geology, within the state of Idaho, from a Masters or PhD thesis as a print-on-demand Technical Report. Only maps containing new mapping from a completed thesis will be considered. See below for requirements, guidelines, and general suggestions.
GENERAL SUGGESTIONS, GUIDELINES, AND REQUIREMENTS
- Inform the Idaho Geological Survey ahead of time that a thesis map will be submitted for publication. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208-885-7479.
- The more complete the map and the closer it follows the submission requirements, the sooner the map will be published.
- The Idaho Geological Survey reserves the right to reject a submitted map if it is not complete and if the digital map is not in an acceptable format (see FORMAT below).
- Thesis maps are processed as time allows.
- Keep maps as "tight" as possible. A geologic map is not a poster so keep fonts small and columns narrow (see below for guidelines). Maps will be printed on a plotter. The larger the map the more expensive it is to plot. No maps larger than 3 x 4 feet will be accepted. Leave a 0.75 inch margin on all sides of the map.
- Look at our maps as a guide. They can be found in PDF format at IGS map publications.
- Submit one plate only unless special arrangements have been made.
- Maps and publications published by the Idaho Survey do not have a copyright.
- The mapping data in the thesis map may eventually be used in a digital compilation and added to the Survey's state-wide geologic map database. In this case all objects from the thesis map used in the compilation will be attributed with a source credit ID which will be linked to a reference lookup table.
- REQUIRED: Include a full citation for the thesis or dissertation.
- REQUIRED: An outline (polygon) of the area covered by the geologic map. Outlines must be in a digital format and georeferenced. Acceptable formats include: shape file, KMZ, or ESRI Geodatabase. Maps for publication will not be accepted without this outline.
- REQUIRED: Map scale check. Check that the printed scale in the map legend matches the actual printed map scale.
WHAT TO INCLUDE ON THE MAP
- Geologic map with basemap (DRG -Digital Raster Graphic- or equivalent is fine)
- Correlation chart
- Map unit descriptions
- Full thesis citation
- Credits including funding credit
- Title with Authors, year
- Map symbols
- Cross section(s)
- Charts, tables, photos as necessary
FONTS, COLORS, AND COLUMNS
- Stick with Arial, Helvetica, and New Times Roman.
- Keep font size down. For text in columns, 9 or 10pt is fine.
- Columns should be 3.5" to 4" wide for readability.
Map Submission for Publication
- The preferred format for submission is Adobe Illustrator.
- ArcMAP can generate an Adobe Illustrator format file for layout.
- Use previously released IGS map publications as a guide.
- The Idaho Geological Survey reserves the right to reject a submitted map if it is not complete and if the digital map is not in an acceptable format.
If the thesis map was digitized in a GIS, the Survey would appreciate receiving this data. Acceptable GIS/digital formats include shape files and ESRI Geodatabase. Simple (one page) metadata should be included.